Tuesday 25 April 2017

AjibogunMayowa’s Features : BALOGUN YUSUF ARTICLE "BLOOD SPILLS".



It was so quick, so swift for a mere man's comprehension. Not even Obatala would have predicted such calamity that was bound to befall us this evening. If only Moremi Ajasoro would descend to rescue us from this perfidy..!
The sun has gone into its nest; the leaves have had enough of it to photosynthesize. This was the rarest of sun that could peel off the skin of an albino in broad day-light. Even the fishes scampered into their hiding at the perilous scorching it brings. But now, the deities seem to have intervened and it has gone down.
"In seasons to come, this horrendous sun might not rise again. It prophesies impending evil, hence appeasement be placed at the crossroad of Olukoso by the next dawn",the town crier has gonged round the nook and cranny of the land. 
"Morounmubo ! Awele !",my mother screamed from the corridor. The two maidens rushed out.
"Maami, hope no cause for alarm ?",Awele asked, with her knees embracing the earth. 
"Not at all,my daughter. You and Mubo, go in and change to new wears. We have to visit the farm and harvest yams,the new yam festival is drawing nearer."
Morounmubo rolled her eyes in idleness. She wasn't thinking of visiting the farm this evening,when all she had in mind was to get to see Alani,her fiance. 

"Maami.. This evening  ? Why don't we make it tomorrow ?",Morounmubo grumbled. 
"Koro gba lenu e",my mother blurted,"Common, put something on and let's get going".
Awele,who was also fatigued had no choice but to go in. Grumbling Mubo followed her, with some indistinct mumbles.. 
My mother was a powerful one, the kind of woman even Elegbara would tremble at her voice. She was quite commanding, every footsteps and actions of her depicts authority. But as ferocious as she was, she was still respectful to my father, the esteemed Aare-Ona-Kakanfo. 
"Maami !",my thoughts cut short, "I want to go with you, to the farm today". I said, with pleading eyes. 
Laughing heartily,my mother drew me nearer and patted me :
"Aremu, the farm ? The farm isn't your place, you're the son of a titan. Your place is the warfield, you're the image of your father. So next time, go with your father to the warfield. The farms are for women, it's an old-age tradition".
I was displeased with the response I received. And that was the usual response I keep getting whenever I ask to be taken to the farm. So because I'm a soldier's son, I should be making holes in people's chests rather than ridges on landfarms ? Wars wasn't that interesting,the land suffer decrease in population every warring moment. Hmm.....! 
"Maami, please. Okay, just for this foremost time,let me feel the breeze of the farm. Maami... ",I pleaded, holding onto her unmoving leg. 
"Mother, it's getting late. Let's take Aremu with us, since this would be his first and last. Atleast.. for sightseeing",Awele's voice barged in. I didn't even know they were by us, all these times. My mother had no choice but to succumb. Bagpacks, cutlasses and hoes in hand, off to the farm we went. 
It wasn't as strenuous as I guessed,we got there in no time. I wasn't allowed to carry out any work, I sat on a ridge looking patiently at my mother and sisters who were sweating profusely while harvesting the stubborn yams! But then, something happened..... 
From nowhere, chariots were launched into the farm and came fierce looking men with swords, amulets and weapons of all sorts approaching us threateningly. I could recognise one of them.. He was Oniponpo, whose town had a clash with my father's. This spells inevitable doom, I hid by the leaves. 
"Take them !",Oniponpo ordered. His men grabbed each of my sisters, leaving my mother who was growing ferociously. Oniponpo charged towards her, so saying :
"Your husband has summoned my wrath. He killed fifteen of my soldiers.. I will make him cry. And not only him, the land itself will weep." 
"Bastard ! Your bed shall lie empty, rather",my mother retorted, only to be stabbed from behind. She wouldn't fall so easily, but the stabbings came consecutively upon her. She was bounded to a stake while she watched her two daughters being raped by the invaders. The battalion of soldiers took turn upon them and slit their necks unto the ridges after the forced pleasure. 
"Nooooooo!",the aggrieved mother screamed as she witnessed the killing of her beloved daughters without being able to defend. 
"Take her, she'll be good for a slave.",Oniponpo said as my mother was tied to their carriage, dragged off amidst tears and blood. He stopped abruptly. 
"There's a living soul here...",he said, pointing towards where I hid. 
"That's the coward called Aremu... Hahaha",he cackled, pointing at my exact shadow. Cold shivers ran through me. 
"Should he meet his ancestors ?",his right hand man, Awodi asked, dusting his powder gun. 
"No, let him be. Atleast, he can hear me. Aremu ! Go home and tell your fathers, tell them they've bitten more than they can chew. Tell them they shall equally pay for their wrongdoings.. Tell them in three days time, they shall be reduced to dust !". These words echoed as the leaves swept through me after their exit, giving independence to hot tears. On an African soil, I have witnessed this tragedy...shall I live to tell ? Let tears flow, let tears substitute vengeance.
*©BALOGUN YUSUF GEMINI.*


No comments:

Post a Comment